St Mary's Church

Earliest history dates to the 13th Century but has had many additions and alterations over the centuries. The clock tower was added in the 15th -16th century. The peal of five bells date back to 1752, the sanctus bell earlier 1657. A sixth bell was added to celebrate the Millenium.

The west window in St. Mary’s was designed by Mary Lowndes 1856-1929 with a strong Arts and Crafts influence. The window was a memorial to the Rev. Thomas Huntley Greene, vicar 1879-87, died in that year.

The old Rectory was built at the turn of the century to replace the older timber frame building.

The house next to the church, Beech House, used to be a pork butchers.

Services are held about three times a month.

The century began with the country ruled by the Hanoverian Dynasty of George III and ended in the Victorian Age ending in Queen Victoria’s death in 1901. It was a period of rapid change and innovation in many sectors of the economy and life. However in the rural economy of the Claydons the influence on life was not great.

East Claydon Parish lies within the Aylesbury Vale in Buckinghamshire, two and a half miles south west of Winslow, eight miles from the historic larger market town of Buckingham.
Buckinghamshire Best Kept Village Competition -  Awarded Merit 2023

Scroll to Top